- 6 tomatoes
For the quinoa black bean stuffing:
- ¼ cup quinoa
- 2 cloves garlic minced very fine
- ¼ cup cooked black beans
- ¼ cup corn
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the bell pepper squash filling:
- 1 cup diced bell peppers, zucchini and yellow squash
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup shredded cheddar + more as needed for topping
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp dried Italian herb seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp black pepper or to taste
To make the quinoa black bean filling
- Cook the quinoa according to the package instructions. Add the taco seasoning, black pepper, garlic, salt to the water when cooking the quinoa.
- When quinoa is done, mix the black beans, corn, cilantro, lemon juice along with the quinoa.
- Check the seasoning and add more salt/ pepper or taco seasoning if required.
- Set aside. Let it cool.
To make the bell pepper and squash filling
- Add some oil to a pan and heat it. When it becomes hot, add the minced garlic, bell peppers, squash and other veggies if using and sauté until they are cooked. You don’t want the veggies to become too mushy.
- Switch off the heat and add the bread crumbs, Italian herbs, salt, pepper, cheddar and set it aside. Let it cool.
To make the grilled stuffed tomatoes
- Cut the upper portion of the tomatoes. Scoop out the flesh using a spoon and keep the flesh aside. You can use it for other recipes.
- Add the fillings inside the tomatoes and top with more shredded cheese and herbs.
- Heat a grill pan or cast-iron pan and add some oil.
- When the pan is hot, place the stuffed tomatoes, cut side up and let it cook/ roast until the tomatoes start to char and the cheese melts. Keep turning the tomatoes so they get cooked on all the sides.
- When done, remove from heat, top with more fresh herbs, cheese if desired.